This post really has nothing to do with Romantic Love Relationships, at least not at first glance. But it just struck me as to how much POWER we have in the world if we’re not willing to cut ourselves down. If we ARE willing to look at what we DO have as strengths and bring them to bear when the moment strikes. Without fear. Without hesitation. Today I have had the experience of an interaction with 3 other people in 3 locations, THOUSANDS of miles apart from each other, all of whom simply operated from the place of “what do I want in this moment, if I act without fear?” And from all of us acting in this way, a true MIRACLE is taking shape!!!
Here’s the story:
Now I know most of you have probably checked out some of the information about The Option Institute (www.option.org ) since we tend to talk about it quite a bit, but the other half of the non-profit that is OI is an organization that works with the families of children with Autism and other developmental disorders. This group is called the Autism Treatment Center of America™, or sometimes known as “The Son-Rise Program®” (http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org ). When I used to work for OI and Son-Rise, part of my job was developing and keeping a database of families who had experienced some significant recovery of their child from autism and who also were willing to talk to the press or make themselves available to be on radio or TV to talk about their experiences. It was a GREAT part of my job, since I got to hear all these stories about children recovering from autism, something which the so-called “experts” still try and maintain is not possible. Well, I’ve SEEN it, over and over, and full recovery IS possible!!! Anyway, I do stay in touch with lots of “Son-Rise Families”, often through Facebook, and just a couple of weeks ago I friended a “Son-Rise Brother” named Steve, who lives in Kenya. Steve is his brother’s (Richard) guardian, and his brother is challenged with autism.
I first became aware that something was up when Steve posted that Richard had woken up a couple of mornings in a row with some form of seizures and was in pain, but, because of Richard’s condition, he was not able to tell Steve what the problem was or where the pain was occuring. Steve asked for support in the form of thoughts and prayers, but then he proceeded to be a super-empowered individual, juggling his job and his feelings of helplessness over Richard while still taking loving action, which led eventually, after many attempts, to Richard finally being seen by a number of doctors/specialists. Eventually the problem was located as a dental issue, which was handled and Richard is doing much better now! However, as a consequence of putting his brother’s care first and solving that issue while juggling work as best he could, his boss decided to fire him anyway. This led to him letting us, his friends (and many of us now consider he and Richard “family”), know that he would have to leave the city now that his job was gone, and that the village where he and Richard would go has no electricity (hence we wouldn’t see him on Facebook anymore) and, more importantly to him, no good, loving support system for Richard like he has in Mombasa.
Well a number of us decided that we wanted to get involved at this point! I told Mary about what was going on and we both agreed that if we had a place with extra room, we would have invited them to come and stay with us, but we don’t at this time, so just as I (and others) were encouraging Steve to think of other options, another post came in from Lennart in Sweden, offering his extra rooms plus whatever Son-Rise training he could give if Steve and Richard could find a way to travel from Mombasa to Sweden! Wow! I told this to Mary and suggested that I would immediately offer $50 towards their plane tickets, if they were willing to be fearless and travel thousands of miles from home to take advantage of Lennart’s wonderful offer. Mary said “the hell with that, let’s make it $100!” Which is all the more from us because we spent the morning findout how much money we DIDN’T have! But to us, this is something special and amazing and so much a part of an angel-team effort that we both just knew instantly we wanted to be a part of it!
Well, we finally managed to get in touch with Steve and he is ready to take the leap of faith! He will get Richard’s passport in the next two weeks and I am now heading up the effort to find a constellation of angels to fund their ticket from Kenya to Sweden. Want to help and be a part of this exciting, loving adventure? Then feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know how much you are able to contribute. ANYTHING will help even if it’s $10! We hope to raise the $1,200 US dollars within a few days to get these two adventurers to have a new start. With much love and gratitude to be a part of this wonderful walk with angels!